Friday, March 30, 2012

Recent SSRS books?

I will be starting a new project using SS2005 Reporting Services. Can
someone recommend 2 or 3 books on the subject? I am interested in a
book beyond the basics. (I believe I don't need the hand holding, or
"step by step," as that most of that can be found online.)
We will be applying report security and integrating with SharePoint in
the near future as well.
I found these so far.
1) Mastering SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Infrastructure Design
(Joseph L. Jorden - Sybex, Published 2007)
2) Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (Brian Larson - McGraw-
Hill, Published 2005)
The first book listed above has a section discussing role based
security and SharePoint deployment. Are these mostly a slam dunk and
I don't need this in a book?
Has much changed since 2005? There are many books from 2005/2006 and
a few published more recently.
Thanks in advance!
DanI can recomend :-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchhikers-Guide-Visual-Studio-Server/dp/0321243625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196846573&sr=8-1
It covers most topics and starts at a level where you are expected to have
had a play with reporting services and mastered some of the basics of
creating reports.
Cheers
Dale
"ZCSI" <danzemmels@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f07e2e87-d3f8-4cd4-a9db-db259766e31d@.y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...
>I will be starting a new project using SS2005 Reporting Services. Can
> someone recommend 2 or 3 books on the subject? I am interested in a
> book beyond the basics. (I believe I don't need the hand holding, or
> "step by step," as that most of that can be found online.)
> We will be applying report security and integrating with SharePoint in
> the near future as well.
> I found these so far.
> 1) Mastering SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Infrastructure Design
> (Joseph L. Jorden - Sybex, Published 2007)
> 2) Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (Brian Larson - McGraw-
> Hill, Published 2005)
> The first book listed above has a section discussing role based
> security and SharePoint deployment. Are these mostly a slam dunk and
> I don't need this in a book?
> Has much changed since 2005? There are many books from 2005/2006 and
> a few published more recently.
> Thanks in advance!
> Dan|||I have the Brian Larson book on my desk, and it's really helpful, but I'm not
a developper but a DBA. So I'm more interested in the technical en security
side of RS.
But it's a good book, and it does the trick for me.
"Dale" wrote:
> I can recomend :-
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchhikers-Guide-Visual-Studio-Server/dp/0321243625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196846573&sr=8-1
> It covers most topics and starts at a level where you are expected to have
> had a play with reporting services and mastered some of the basics of
> creating reports.
> Cheers
> Dale
>
> "ZCSI" <danzemmels@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f07e2e87-d3f8-4cd4-a9db-db259766e31d@.y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...
> >I will be starting a new project using SS2005 Reporting Services. Can
> > someone recommend 2 or 3 books on the subject? I am interested in a
> > book beyond the basics. (I believe I don't need the hand holding, or
> > "step by step," as that most of that can be found online.)
> >
> > We will be applying report security and integrating with SharePoint in
> > the near future as well.
> >
> > I found these so far.
> > 1) Mastering SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Infrastructure Design
> > (Joseph L. Jorden - Sybex, Published 2007)
> > 2) Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (Brian Larson - McGraw-
> > Hill, Published 2005)
> >
> > The first book listed above has a section discussing role based
> > security and SharePoint deployment. Are these mostly a slam dunk and
> > I don't need this in a book?
> >
> > Has much changed since 2005? There are many books from 2005/2006 and
> > a few published more recently.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Dan
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment