Wednesday, March 28, 2012

receive notification from server in application

Hello, I have an application which is running on multiple computers and is connected with one sql server. I would like to that the user is notified when another user is performing some special action. So I thought that when this action begins, the server is notified either by writing some data in a table or something like this. Then I would like other applications to be notified so is possible that notification service notifies the application? If yes how? Thanks
SSNS may be used in instances like this.

If your "special actions" are not recognizable using the built-in event providers (SQL Server Event Provider & File System Event Provider), you'll need to create a custom event provider to gather the event data.

Assuming the criteria by which people want to be notified is fairly static, you can create subscriptions to match upon. SSNS is not a good choice if the criteria changes frequently (for example, I want to notified when the data behind the web page I'm looking at happens to change. People may bounce among web pages frequently so SSNS is not a good choice there.)

You'll definitely need to create a custom delivery protocol (and perhaps a custom content formatter too) to get the notification to the application.

BTW - you may also want to check out Query Notifications. That technology may offer some of the features you are looking for.

HTH...

Joe|||I want the users of the application to be notified when a particular field in particular table changes. How can the server find all the instances of my application that are connected to it and how can it send the information? How can my application receive them? Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment