Monday, March 26, 2012

Rebuildm failed with Error 266

I am trying to run rebuildm to change the collation of SQL. I stop SQL and
even have deleted sqlmangr.exe out of Task Manager "Processes". I have
everything closed on the machine. SQL is definitely down - No services show
in "Services". However, when I run rebuildm - after I enter where the data
files are and the new collation and press Rebuild it returns an error. First
One "Cannot copy master: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again" When I press
OK I get "Rebuild Master failed with error 266: The copy function cannot be
used. The error occurred due to a file copy failure"
How can there be a connection? - SQL is stopped! No one can connect - the
server isn't even connected to the network. I've got everything closed!
Can you please help me - This is driving me crazy -- Thanx!
Terry
Regina Qu'appelle Health Region
Saskatchewan
CANADA
Try copying the files to disk first and remove the read only
attribute. That's generally what causes the error you are
seeing.
-Sue
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:15:03 -0700, "Terry"
<terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:

>I am trying to run rebuildm to change the collation of SQL. I stop SQL and
>even have deleted sqlmangr.exe out of Task Manager "Processes". I have
>everything closed on the machine. SQL is definitely down - No services show
>in "Services". However, when I run rebuildm - after I enter where the data
>files are and the new collation and press Rebuild it returns an error. First
>One "Cannot copy master: It is being used by another person or program.
>Close any programs that might be using the file and try again" When I press
>OK I get "Rebuild Master failed with error 266: The copy function cannot be
>used. The error occurred due to a file copy failure"
>How can there be a connection? - SQL is stopped! No one can connect - the
>server isn't even connected to the network. I've got everything closed!
>Can you please help me - This is driving me crazy -- Thanx!
|||thanks! - Tried it but...
My db files and rebuildm are on disk
The actual directory tree will not let me remove the RedOnly on the Data dir
Windows Server 2003 doesn't want me to remove it - Apply it but it just
reverts back to Read Only -- tried all the way up the dir structure.
I went ahead anyway and created another branch for the db files and copied
them to it.
I ran rebuildm - it went further but came back with a different but similar
error
"Rebuild Master failed with error -1: the error occurred due to a file copy
failure"
I didn't actually attach the new set of dbs to SQL though ?
Thanx!
Terry
Regina Health Region
Saskatchewan
CANADA
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:

> Try copying the files to disk first and remove the read only
> attribute. That's generally what causes the error you are
> seeing.
> -Sue
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:15:03 -0700, "Terry"
> <terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:
>
>
|||I'm not clear on what you moved where but I doubt it will
work if you split things apart.
Copy the entire x86\Data directory. Select all of the files
in the data directory and remove the read-only attribute.
Then run rebuildm. Use this other data directory as the
source directory for the data files.
-Sue
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:36:04 -0700, "Terry"
<terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:

>thanks! - Tried it but...
>My db files and rebuildm are on disk
>The actual directory tree will not let me remove the RedOnly on the Data dir
>Windows Server 2003 doesn't want me to remove it - Apply it but it just
>reverts back to Read Only -- tried all the way up the dir structure.
>I went ahead anyway and created another branch for the db files and copied
>them to it.
>I ran rebuildm - it went further but came back with a different but similar
>error
>"Rebuild Master failed with error -1: the error occurred due to a file copy
>failure"
>I didn't actually attach the new set of dbs to SQL though ?
>Thanx!
|||We always install SQL onto another drive - usually D:
So a typical install puts files/dirs on both C: and D:
.../Data exists on D: that's what I copied to another directory
and used as a source for Rebuildm
data files are always in d:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data
I took those files and copied them to D:\MSSQL\Data which is a new dir
I must be confused about something basic !?!?!
Is my problem due to installing SQL on D: ?
SQL 2000 - SP4 ? Windows Server 2003 ?
Rebuildm is on C:\...
Thanks!
Terry
Regina Health Region
Saskatchewan
CANADA
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:

> I'm not clear on what you moved where but I doubt it will
> work if you split things apart.
> Copy the entire x86\Data directory. Select all of the files
> in the data directory and remove the read-only attribute.
> Then run rebuildm. Use this other data directory as the
> source directory for the data files.
> -Sue
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:36:04 -0700, "Terry"
> <terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:
>
>
|||Yes...using rebuildm has nothing at all to do with whatever
data files you currently have. Ignore whatever you have and
where ever they are located for the rebuildm utility. Just
look at this as having nothing to do with whatever you
already installed.
Copy the entire x86\Data directory from your SQL Server
installation CD to a share. You need all of the original
files from the installation CD.
Select all of the files in the data directory that you
copied from the CD. Right click, select properties and
remove the read-only attribute.
Then run rebuildm. Use this data directory share where you
have just copied the files from the CD as the source
directory for the data files.
It sounds like you are trying to use some of your database
files and that's now how it works. The rebuildm utility
rebuilds the master database and system databases. It the
original files for these database from the CD. Rebuildm gets
you back up and running but you still need to restore you
master, model and msdb databases.
-Sue
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:16:01 -0700, "Terry"
<terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:

>We always install SQL onto another drive - usually D:
>So a typical install puts files/dirs on both C: and D:
>.../Data exists on D: that's what I copied to another directory
>and used as a source for Rebuildm
>data files are always in d:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data
>I took those files and copied them to D:\MSSQL\Data which is a new dir
>I must be confused about something basic !?!?!
>Is my problem due to installing SQL on D: ?
>SQL 2000 - SP4 ? Windows Server 2003 ?
>Rebuildm is on C:\...
>Thanks!
|||Thanks Sue!!! -- that's it !!! -- I wasn't understanding the intent of the
utility. I thought it wanted the location of the existing system files.
Terry
Regina Health Region
Saskatchewan
CANADA
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:

> Yes...using rebuildm has nothing at all to do with whatever
> data files you currently have. Ignore whatever you have and
> where ever they are located for the rebuildm utility. Just
> look at this as having nothing to do with whatever you
> already installed.
> Copy the entire x86\Data directory from your SQL Server
> installation CD to a share. You need all of the original
> files from the installation CD.
> Select all of the files in the data directory that you
> copied from the CD. Right click, select properties and
> remove the read-only attribute.
> Then run rebuildm. Use this data directory share where you
> have just copied the files from the CD as the source
> directory for the data files.
> It sounds like you are trying to use some of your database
> files and that's now how it works. The rebuildm utility
> rebuilds the master database and system databases. It the
> original files for these database from the CD. Rebuildm gets
> you back up and running but you still need to restore you
> master, model and msdb databases.
> -Sue
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:16:01 -0700, "Terry"
> <terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:
>
>
|||Glad to hear you got it. Your not the only one who I've seen
have problems with the same issue FWIW...
-Sue
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:16:01 -0700, "Terry"
<terry@.microsoft.newsgroups.com> wrote:

>Thanks Sue!!! -- that's it !!! -- I wasn't understanding the intent of the
>utility. I thought it wanted the location of the existing system files.

No comments:

Post a Comment