Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Receive alerts on SQLServer service up/down status

I am researching about this capability within SQL 7.0. I would like to use 1 SQL server to monitor all other SQL servers on "SQL Server service up/down" condition. I don't seem to be able to do it because when SQLServer service is down, the SQLAgent service stopped as well.
And, I think SQLAgent service is needed to communicate the status.
Does anyone know if this capability exist in SQL 7 or not? If not, I think I will look into other tools. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!Debbie,
You could create a periodic SQL agent job on the monitoring server that polls
the others by attempting to run a simple stored proc or similar.
The on failure step can be set to do the alarm.
I'm not sure what you mean by the service up/down problem. Are you talking
about the monitoring sql server ?
The SQL Agent has SQL Server as a dependancy, so it wont run without it.
But they are real separate services, so you could "monitor" them by service
control manager commands.
Regards
AJ
"Debbie" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC78F429-88C2-4961-8010-969059F95D91@.microsoft.com...
> I am researching about this capability within SQL 7.0. I would like to use 1 SQL server to monitor all
other SQL servers on "SQL Server service up/down" condition. I don't seem to be able to do it because when
SQLServer service is down, the SQLAgent service stopped as well.
> And, I think SQLAgent service is needed to communicate the status.
> Does anyone know if this capability exist in SQL 7 or not? If not, I think I will look into other tools.
Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!|||You'd be far better off using a script written in a language other than
T-SQL for this type of monitoring purposes. The main reason is that many
error messages are sent to the client and the client needs to be able to
trap and check these error messages and respond properly. A real scripting
language is also better in handling whatever notification logic you want to
implement and in sending alerts
You can write a simple script to periodically try to connect to each of the
SQL instances you want to monitor. If the connection attempt fails, the
script can then decide whether to send an alert. You may want send an alert
only when there are several consecutive failed connection attempts in order
to minimize nuisance alerts.
If you are not into scripting, use a third-party package. But these
commerical tools often come with a lot of excessive weight, offering far
more than you need and costing a bundle.
--
Linchi Shea
linchi_shea@.NOSPAMml.com
"Debbie" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC78F429-88C2-4961-8010-969059F95D91@.microsoft.com...
> I am researching about this capability within SQL 7.0. I would like to
use 1 SQL server to monitor all other SQL servers on "SQL Server service
up/down" condition. I don't seem to be able to do it because when SQLServer
service is down, the SQLAgent service stopped as well.
> And, I think SQLAgent service is needed to communicate the status.
> Does anyone know if this capability exist in SQL 7 or not? If not, I
think I will look into other tools. Any information is appreciated. Thanks
in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment